Wednesday 27 February 2013

Update

Georgie started vomiting last Thursday (3 days before the Leflunomide arrived). I was getting very worried that this might be due to the toll the Prednisone was taking on her. Although the vet gave her a drug called Losec Mups to assist with the gastro Pred side effects it is still a concern. Her tummy was rock hard and you could see she was desperately uncomfortable. I had been giving Georgie her meds without food to improve the effect of the Cyslosporine. She vomited Thurdsay, Friday and Saturday. She even vomited after her first Leflunomide tablet on Saturday night. I was heartbroken. I made a decision to start giving the meds with her food to try and reduce the harshness of it all.

Since Sunday I have given her meds with food and also decided to remove grain from her diet. I had a feeling she was battling to digest her food because of all the meds. I fed her boiled chicken instead of chicken and pellets.

From that point on she has managed to keep her food down and she has now successfully had 4 doses of Leflunomide.

I don't know if the Leflunomide is working incredibly quickly, whether her new diet has helped or whether the other meds have finally started to take effect, but what a change. In the last 4 days Georgie has gone from lethargic, uncomfortable and showing many signs of the disease to a energetic, happy little girl with significantly less noticeable neurological symptoms. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief that something seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment